The Accounting Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of a two-person accounting department and an outside accountant. They will be responsible for overseeing month and year end closings, implementing new processes and procedures, budgeting, forecasting, financial analysis, creating financial statements, performing bank reconciliations, adjusting journal entries, general ledger accounting, increasing company savings and leading the management of banking and corporate credit card activity. They will enhance the accuracy of the company KPI’s and reported financial results, while ensuring results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Manages the cash flow, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, credit card payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivables, collections, and overhead expenses.
- Maintain financial controls and improve documented system of accounting reports, policies, and procedures.
- Responsible for posting daily cash activity; reconcile ending cash balances monthly.
- Works closely with firm’s outside accountants, consultants, and bankers to manage financials.
- Prepares budgets and forecasts by collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data.
- Manage banking operations and firm bank accounts, including operating, trust, master escrow, client funds accounts and client distributions.
- Review and process bad debt write-offs.
- Responsible for month-end close and generation of income statement and balance sheet, along with account reconciliations, and general ledger analysis for COO and executive committee.
- Provide management with weekly, monthly, and annual financial information and reports vital to the decision-making process at the firm.
- Reconcile discrepancies between bank statements and internal reports.
- Maintain and update accounting system on daily basis, including data entry of financial spreadsheets and internal reports.
- Manage monthly billing and other cash management techniques to ensure cash collection.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database as needed.
- Review and square-away aged accounts receivables for risk management.
- Assist in the preparation of tax documents with outside accountant.
- Additional duties/ projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business-Related field required.
- 5-7+ years of progressive accounting and management experience.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office suite, particularly in Excel. *must be proficient in all accounting software tools and reporting modules, including SQL.
- Prior accounting experience in professional service environment. *law firm experience preferred.
- Self-motivated, go-getter, and able to think critically, interact with colleagues and clients, and work as part of a team.
- Highly detail oriented and organized; strong written, verbal, and communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities in a dynamic environment, and produce accurate and timely deliverables.
The best candidate for this role can maintain a positive professional attitude; exhibit integrity, reliability, leadership, and provide exceptional client services by responding with a sense of urgency, practicality, and accountability.
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com