We provide creative solutions to complicated problems.
Barry Schatz, a founding partner of Berger Schatz, is one of Illinois’ most respected matrimonial law practitioners.
Barry advises clients in all areas of family and matrimonial law, focusing on financial complexity matters, often involving family businesses, estate plans, and asset valuations. His clients include high-net worth individuals, CEOs, founders of start-up companies, nationally recognized authors, as well as individuals with family businesses and private foundations.
He is an effective negotiator of premarital and postmarital agreements, marital settlement and parenting agreements, and a seasoned advocate in maintenance and child-support issues.
In addition to being a highly experienced litigator, Barry is also certified in collaborative law and mediation.
Why Clients Choose Barry
Clients turn to Barry for not only his deep understanding of all family law matters but also for his intelligence and compassion, born from years of experience.
Barry employs a methodical approach and works to develop a thoughtful plan from the onset. He works to fully understand the nature of the marital relationship and uses that knowledge to hand select the appropriate team to handle each individual matter and client in order to produce maximum results.
Barry has been named to the Leading Lawyers Network since 2003 and is one of a select group of attorneys to earn a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® peer rating. In 2015, Barry was listed in the Leading Lawyers Network Top 10 Family Law Attorneys and Top 100 Attorneys in Illinois. He has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2014, has been named to the Illinois Super Lawyers list since 2006, and has been included in the list of Top 100 Illinois Super Lawyers since 2015.
- The Best Lawyers in America for the practice of Family Law, 2014 – Present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent®
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2006 – Present
- Top 100 Illinois Super Lawyers, 2015 – Present
- Leading Lawyers Network, 2003 – Present
- Top 10 Family Law Attorneys, 2015
- Top 100 Attorneys in Illinois, 2015
- Illinois Institute for Continued Legal Education, Faculty
The John Marshall Law School, J.D.
Pennsylvania State University, B.A.
American Bar Association, Member
- Family Law Section, Member
- Economics of Law Practice Section, Member
- Litigation Section, Member
Chicago Bar Association, member
- Matrimonial Law Committee, Member
Illinois Bar Association, Member
- Family Law Section Council, former Officer and Chairman
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Illinois Chapter, Fellow
American Bar Foundation, Life Fellow