We handle your family law issues with creativity, energy, and compassion.
You do better for people when you do better with people. As an experienced and highly respected family law attorney and Principal at Berger Schatz, Brian Blitz is known for his compassionate, holistic, and collaborative approach to family law.
Brian represents professional athletes and other celebrities, business owners, C-suite executives, medical professionals, and their spouses in a variety of family law matters. With optimism and humanity, Brian understands that the divorce process can be daunting and as such remains committed to helping clients navigate complex business valuations, characterization of marital and non-marital assets, and child support and maintenance issues.
Adept at handling hotly contested child custody matters Brian places the well-being of clients and their families first.
A strategic problem solver, confidante, and advocate, Brian believes the practice of family law should be about more than just achieving optimal financial results. Combining empathy and advocacy, Brian Blitz provides an innovative approach to complex and high profile cases rooted in mutual trust between himself and clients. This holistic approach is underpinned by a deep understanding of his clients’ businesses and finances, their family relationships, and their values and priorities.
A proponent of Alternative Dispute Resolution, Brian has a keen sense of what battles are worth fighting in the courtroom and which ones are not. By consistently demonstrating an ability to work with opposing lawyers and judges, he achieves far more positive outcomes for his clients.
As a member of Berger Schatz’s Executive Committee, Brian is well regarded by his peers. Among his many accolades, Brian is a Crain’s Chicago 2019 Notable Gen X Leader in Law. Part of an elite group of attorneys chosen in this first-ever category, Brian was selected for his ability to influence change in the firm, for being a role model and mentor to other attorneys, and for holding leadership positions in the profession and community.
- Crain’s Chicago Notable Gen X Leader in Law, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America® for the practice of Family Law, 2014 – Present
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- Super Lawyers, 2020 – Present
- Rising Stars, 2009 – 2017
- Leading Lawyers Network, 2012 – Present
- Forty Under 40, Law Bulletin Media, 2010
- Executive Committee, Member
Publications & Presentations
- Divorce: What to do when Private Entities are Entangled, panelist – Divorce Network Luncheon Series, 2018
- Legal Ethics – The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, panelist – American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2018
- High EQ and Finding the Lawyer Who Understands You, 2022
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago mentoring program, mentor, 2018 – Present
- Wisdom Knot, 2019 – Present
- Michael Rolfe Pancreatic Cancer Foundation, board member, 2009 – Present
Northwestern University, Divorce Mediation Training Program, 2016
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2002
University of Texas-Austin, B.A., 1999
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
American Bar Association, Member
- CLE Committee
Illinois Bar Association, Member
Sports Law Association, Member