We handle your family law issues with creativity, energy, and compassion.
Brian Blitz is an experienced and highly respected family law attorney, often praised for his compassion and holistic approach to solving family law problems.
Brian represents professional athletes and other celebrities, business owners, C-suite executives, medical professionals, and their spouses in a variety of family law matters. He helps clients navigate complex business valuations, characterization of marital and non-marital assets, and child support and maintenance issues. He is also adept at handling hotly contested child custody matters.
Brian believes that although important, the practice of family law should be about more than just achieving optimal financial results. This holistic approach is underpinned by a deep understanding of his clients’ businesses and finances, their family relationships, and their values and priorities.
He has a keen sense of what battles are worth fighting in the courtroom and which ones are not. By consistently demonstrating an ability to work with opposing lawyers and judges, Brian achieves far more positive outcomes for his clients, helping them to reach a better place than where they started their journey.
As a member of Berger Schatz’s Executive Committee, Brian is well regarded by his peers. Among his many accolades, Brian is a Crain’s Chicago 2019 Notable Gen X Leader in Law. Part of an elite group of attorneys chosen in this first-ever category, Brian was selected for his ability to influence change in the firm, for being a role model and mentor to other attorneys, and for holding leadership positions in the profession and community.
Brian is very active in the community, and in 2018 he spearheaded Berger Schatz’ partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago. The mentoring program pairs children facing adversity with professionals to build relationships and prepare the children for success. Searching for a way to make an impact in the communities where he and his colleagues live and work, Brian has been moved by how meaningful the program and his personal relationship with his “little” have been. Brian has also closely partnered with Wisdom Knot, a Chicago non-profit foundation that supports inner city children who aspire to work in the world of professional sports as adults.
Brian is also on the board of the Rolfe Pancreatic Cancer Foundation.
- The Best Lawyers in America® for the practice of Family Law, 2014 – present
- Crain’s Chicago Notable Gen X Leader in Law, 2019
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2020
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2009 – 2017
- Leading Lawyers Network, 2012 – Present
- Forty Under 40, Law Bulletin Media, 2010
- Executive Committee, Member
Publications & Presentations
- Divorce: What to do when Private Entities are Entangled, panelist – Divorce Network Luncheon Series, 2018
- Legal Ethics – The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, panelist – American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2018
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago mentoring program, mentor, 2018 – Present
- Wisdom Knot, 2019 – Present
- Michael Rolfe Pancreatic Cancer Foundation, board member, 2009 – Present
Northwestern University, Divorce Mediation Training Program, 2016
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2002
University of Texas-Austin, B.A., 1999
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
American Bar Association, Member
- CLE Committee
Illinois Bar Association, Member
Sports Law Association, Member