We help clients achieve what is most important for them.
David Levy is well-respected among judges and peers for being a smart and principled attorney representing his clients with integrity.
Representing clients in all areas of family and matrimonial law, David provides his time, experience, and deep knowledge of the law to help clients achieve the best outcome. An experienced litigator, he regularly represents individuals in trials and appeals.
He is also a Certified Arbitrator and a well-respected child representative, which allows him to advocate for the best interests of children in contentious custody cases.
David is a founding partner of Berger Schatz and is also one of the principal authors of the new Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act.
David takes a big-picture view to life after divorce and is constantly thinking about the implications of each element of the process. His principled approach guides clients to outcomes that will work for both parties and children in the long run.
David is a member of the American Bar Association (Family Law Section) and the Illinois State Bar Association. For the latter organization, he served as chairman, vice chairman, and secretary of the Family Law Section Council (of which he is currently a member) and the Supreme Court Rules Committee. David also was a member of the Special Task Force for Attorneys for Children Committee, the Special Committee on Cable TV Programming, and the Standing Committee on Unauthorized Practice of Law.
David has held a number of leadership positions within the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML). At the national level, he was elected to serve on the organization’s National Board of Governors for nine years. He previously served as treasurer and as a member of the Executive Committee. He has served as chairman of numerous AAML committees, including chairing the AICPA/AAML National Conference on Divorce for 14 years (a member of the committee for 18 years). He has chaired the Public Relations, Law Economics, and Site Selection committees and has served on the Admissions Procedures and the National Written Test committees. He is also the past Editor in Chief of the Journal of the AAML.
David was selected by the Illinois Chapter of the AAML as the 2014 recipient of the prestigious Samuel S. Berger Award, which recognizes attorneys and judges who exemplify the highest standards of integrity, courtesy, knowledge of family law, and the extraordinary ability to solve human problems. David is also a recipient of the Michael Cohen Award, given for continuing commitment and contributions to the professional education of matrimonial lawyers.
- The Best Lawyers in America® for the practice of Family Law, 2014 – Present
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2006 – Present
- Top 100 lawyers in Illinois
- Leading Lawyers Network, 2003 – Present
- 10 best family law attorneys in Illinois, 2011 – 2015
- Top 100 attorneys in Illinois, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent®
Publications & Presentations
- Guest Lecturer – February monthly seminar for Guardians Ad Litem and Child Representatives, discussing the trends and new case law regarding the relocation of children after divorce, Judge Dickler 2020
- Dave’s Top Ten: The Need-to-Know New Cases – AAML/BVR National Conference on Divorce, 2019
- Annual Seminar on Business Valuation, Financial & Tax Issues on Divorce Conference – IICLE/AAML, 2019
- Annual Seminar on Business Valuation, Financial & Tax Issues on Divorce Conference – IICLE/AAML, 2018
- Ethical Conundrums – AICPA/AAML National Conference on Divorce, 2016
- Case Law Update – AAML Conference, Chicago, 2016
- Dating, Maintenance, and Miller- co-author, Illinois Bar Journal, April 2016
Illinois Institute of Technology / Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D.
Ohio University, B.G.S.
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
American Bar Association, Family Law Section
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Illinois Bar Association