We can be aggressive, if needed, but prefer to work cooperatively.
Michael is a distinguished litigator with more than 25 years of experience in all areas of family and matrimonial law.
Michael’s family law work includes matters involving complex financial issues, corporate valuations, non-marital asset protection, premarital and postmarital agreements, child custody, support, and parenting time.
Michael is managing partner of the firm’s Lake Forest office.
Why Clients Choose Michael
Michael understands that the legal system is not set up to address all of the issues involved when couples divorce. Drawing on his years of experience, he guides couples through the process with creative approaches to help them achieve their goals.
Michael strives to resolve matters efficiently to avoid incurring unnecessary fees and stress. A skilled negotiator, he assists clients in reaching favorable settlements without the necessity of trial when possible. When necessary, however, he aggressively represents clients successfully at trials and on appeals.
Michael was one of the youngest attorneys ever nominated as a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Illinois Chapter). He has been selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers each year since 2007 and named to the Leading Lawyers Network each year since 2004.
- The Best Lawyers in America® the practice of Family Law, 2018 – Present
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2007 – Present
- Leading Lawyers Network, 2004 – Present
- Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished SM
- The Games People Play – Illinois Institute for Continuing Education Business Valuation, Financial, and Tax Issues in Divorce program, March 2019
- Maintenance: Review, Modification, Termination, and Implications of the Bernay Case – Lake County Bar Association, September 2017
Illinois Institute of Technology/Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1992
University of Colorado at Boulder, B.A., 1989
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Family Law Committee Young Lawyers Section, Past Co-Chair
Illinois Bar Association, Member
Lake County Bar Association, Member
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Illinois Chapter), Fellow
Past Illinois Chapter Board of Managers