Family Law Litigation Paralegal
Berger Schatz, a high-profile matrimonial and family law firm is seeking a full time Family Law Litigation Paralegal for our Lake Forest office. The successful candidate will be responsible for a variety of tasks, including both billable hour and administrative tasks. Hours for this position are 8:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. This position is hybrid, working both in our downtown Lake Forest office and remotely. This position is a non-exempt position.
The Litigation Paralegal will assist in all aspects of document management and organization, discovery, financial analysis and trial preparation in various jurisdictions. They will assist in preparation and organization of large document productions, gather, prepare, and summarize relevant case materials for attorney review.
- 3-5 years family law litigation experience or 5+ years litigation paralegal experience preferred
- Paralegal certification preferred, but will also consider individuals working toward certification
- Strong computer skills
- Excel and electronic database management
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with challenging tasks and daily deadlines
- Index, organize and analyze legal and other documents
- Review, analyze and summarize financial records
- Prepare deposition summaries
- Coordinate and participate in document production
- May assist with witness preparation and attend depositions as required
- Assist with trial preparation and may attend and assist the attorneys during trial
- Obtain information using the Westlaw and Lexis systems
- Communicate with clients, court personnel, experts, attorneys, and others by telephone, in person and in writing, obtaining, and giving information as directed
- Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to, preparing discovery and responses, independently performing tasks and working within a team environment
- Working knowledge of State and Federal Rules of Court.
Document Preparation Responsibilities:
- Prepare Interrogatories and Requests for Production
- Answer written discovery requests
- Prepare Notice of Deposition forms
- Prepare and issue subpoenas and riders
- Preparation of Financial Affidavits and other financial documents reflecting a client’s income, expenses, assets and liabilities
- Handle routine communications with client, attorneys, and vendors.
Technical Skill Requirements:
- Database management is an essential component
- Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Document Management Systems – iManage
- Legal Research Tools – Lexis Nexis, Summation or WestLaw
- Billing Systems – Omega
- Docketing Systems – Vision, Omega
- Adobe Acrobat
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibilities and essential functions of this position but is not an all-inclusive listing of the work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
If this opportunity interests you, please forward your cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.